Thursday, February 24, 2011

EMERGENCY 72-HOUR KIT

A GOOD BOOKLET TO BUY WOULD BE THIS ONE:
Essentials of Home Production and Storage.
Item number: 32288000 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
$1.50 USD

The usual problems I have found in talking with persons who claim to have their 72-hour kit prepared are these:
1) It is not all in one place. It would take a while to gather it all up.
2) There is no way I could carry the box or large can I have it stored in.
3) I am not planning to leave my house, so I have everything I need here.
4) I have some of it in my car, in the closet and in the garage; isn't that enough?
5) My water is stored in big barrels; I can't move them.
6) I did a kit several years ago, do I have to rotate it?
7) I tried recycling my kit and found that the food tastes bad, turned to sugar,
and it isn't eatable. My candy melted all over everything else.
8) The amount of items I will need are huge. How do I move them?
9) Where do I store them and how often do I recycle them?

So what is the answer?

Food and Water Rotate all foods every 6 months.

A three day supply of food and water, per person. No refrigeration or cooking.
• Protein/Granola Bars [Add, if you use a water soluble protein shake?]
• Trail Mix/Dried Fruit [Add, MRE Meals that can be eaten cold with a spoon.]
• Crackers/Cereals/Chips (For munching)
• Canned: Tuna, Chicken, Beans, Turkey, Beef, Vienna Sausages
• Canned Juice or boxed juices
• Candy/Gum/Cookies (Using mint gum might make everything taste like mint.)
• Water (1 Gallon/4 Liters Per Person)

NEXT -- Is where it all gets heavy to carry:

Bedding and Clothing
• Change of Clothing (short/long sleeved shirts, pants, jackets, tennis shoes)
• Undergarments, Socks, Bra
• Rain Coat/Poncho/Warm coat
• Blankets and Emergency Heat Blanks (Like Hand Warmers, to keep in warmth)
• Cloth Sheets
• Plastic Sheet {Tarp}
Fuel and Light
• Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps, with Batteries)
• Extra Batteries
• Flares
• Candles
• Lighter, Water-proof Matches
Equipment
• Can Opener
• Dishes/Utensils/Dish-pan/Dish soap/Towels
• Shovel [Foldable]
• Radio (with Batteries!)
• Pen and Paper
• Axe
• Pocket Knife
• Rope
• Duct Tape
Personal Supplies and Medication
• First Aid Kit and Supplies [include Needle and Thread for sewing wounds]
• Toiletries (Roll of Toilet Paper- remove the center tube to easily flatten
into a zip-lock bag, Feminine hygiene products
• Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer, Soap, Shampoo, Towels
• Immunizations [Up-to Date]
• Medication (Tylenol, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, children's medication)
• Prescription Medication (for 3-7 days and Rotated Monthly by YOU)
Personal Documents and Money
(Place these items in a water-proof container.)

Yes, It Is All Up To You! When that disaster happens, Will you be ready?
Will you rotate to keep everything eatable and safe, Will you have it ALL in one place (perhaps on wheels, so you can move it)? That Hand-Cart might come in handy here! Will you only include foods that you have already tried and WILL EAT? Finally, Have you planned with your family such things as -- How to find and contact, Where to meet, Who to include in your neighborhood watch, Where the bike is stored, What if someone is killed - Who takes over. It could be very serious and a fake pre-test should be done with your children and older family members. BE SAFE! Remember to pray!

OH, Remember to shut off the gas and electricity, should the house be destroyed. It will take the city about a week to comply and the government takes about 6 weeks in an earthquake, tornado, or hurricane diaster to set up. Do you have a tent?

No comments:

Post a Comment